Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: <= 3.x
We had a meeting today with Brian, Terry, Jerry, Matthew and Laran to discuss caching.
The net result of the meeting was the feeling that there is a potentially better method for us to implement caching which gives us a few key benefits.
1. The ability to share a connection-level cache across a cluster.
2. The ability to cache beyond the per-broker caching currently implemented. The improvement will allow caching across database requests.
3. Better control over the cache, with more ability to prevent the cache from becoming stale.
The TwoLevelCache seems optimal. However, it needs to be validated from a few perspectives.
1. An OJB cache implementation must be compatible with the Spring transaction management mechanism.
2. The caching implementation must work properly in the batch environment and also with workflow. (Workflow uses XA Transactions).
There were also concerns over whether or not OJB caching was actually usable. Wes apparently had tried to implement an OJB cache back in March/May of 2005 but moved away from it for reasons which aren't known.
So, the task here is to experiment with OJB TwoLevel caching, removing the Spring method level caching.