Kuali Rice Development
  1. Kuali Rice Development
  2. KULRICE-2156

When pasting text from a Word document into an EDL text area, XML ends up with garbage in it.

    Details

    • Type: Bug Fix Bug Fix
    • Status: Closed Closed
    • Priority: Critical Critical
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: None
    • Fix Version/s: 0.9.1.4
    • Component/s: Development
    • Labels:
      None
    • Similar issues:
      KULRICE-6836Add feature to remove special characters for text area fields
      KULRICE-1748handle special chars when copying and pasting text into text areas gracefully
      KULRICE-12984The styling of the read-only text area is broken
      KULRICE-12615Text Area still editable even when disabled
      KULRICE-9730Copy/Paste xml into a txt area in a maint. document - the xml gets encoded somehow
      KULRICE-9332Spaces are replaced by ? in the content of a repeated text area component
      KULRICE-8750Breadcrumbs not picking up page title from navigation when page header text is blank
      KULRICE-5138Add pop up text area option for TextAreas and Text input fields
      KULRICE-2266Data from text area fields is not properly wrapped on Inquiries if it contains carriage returns
      KULRICE-11551text areas have a grey box around them when they are read only
    • Rice Module:
      KEW

      Description

      If using a textarea on an EDL and the user copies text from Microsoft Word and pastes it into the textarea, we end up with garbage in our XML. I assume this is because the formatting that comes along with the word doc is also being copied.

      I'm not sure what the solution is but it might a matter of defining the charset on the form. See the following thread:

      http://www.webmasterworld.com/html/3375353.htm

        Activity

        Hide
        Ailish Byrne added a comment -

        awesome - i'm going to resolve our related issue and add this oracle configuration recommendation to our implementation instructions. thanks!

        Show
        Ailish Byrne added a comment - awesome - i'm going to resolve our related issue and add this oracle configuration recommendation to our implementation instructions. thanks!
        Hide
        Ailish Byrne added a comment -

        btw - i assume you switched the charset on KUALI and KUL1PTD?

        Show
        Ailish Byrne added a comment - btw - i assume you switched the charset on KUALI and KUL1PTD?
        Hide
        Eric Westfall added a comment -

        Sorry, I should have included some more info on this

        We haven't actually tried switching our database (this is our IU rice databse) over to the utf8 charset (although we are fairly confident this would resolve the issue). Also, I wouldn't want to switch the charset on KUALI or KUL1PTD because those are KFS databases I believe?

        According to the DBAs and documentation we've read, this requires a full export and re-import of the database. Here is the response we got from our DBAs regarding this:

        1) To our knowledge, there is no such thing as an
        individual table conversion. The Character set is
        applicable to the entire database.
        2) We are not aware of any issues with DSS, but of
        course, testing is recommended.
        3) It would not only require an IMPORT/EXPORT
        process, but would also require the creation of a new
        database and likely some lossy conversion issues to
        be address by the development staff.

        Show
        Eric Westfall added a comment - Sorry, I should have included some more info on this We haven't actually tried switching our database (this is our IU rice databse) over to the utf8 charset (although we are fairly confident this would resolve the issue). Also, I wouldn't want to switch the charset on KUALI or KUL1PTD because those are KFS databases I believe? According to the DBAs and documentation we've read, this requires a full export and re-import of the database. Here is the response we got from our DBAs regarding this: 1) To our knowledge, there is no such thing as an individual table conversion. The Character set is applicable to the entire database. 2) We are not aware of any issues with DSS, but of course, testing is recommended. 3) It would not only require an IMPORT/EXPORT process, but would also require the creation of a new database and likely some lossy conversion issues to be address by the development staff.
        Hide
        Ailish Byrne added a comment -

        KUALI and KUL1PTD are kuali databases used by kfs and kra at least for our cnv, reg etc. environment as well as test drive. are the rice schemas not in KUALI? so do we have any intention of making this change at some point? thanks!

        Show
        Ailish Byrne added a comment - KUALI and KUL1PTD are kuali databases used by kfs and kra at least for our cnv, reg etc. environment as well as test drive. are the rice schemas not in KUALI? so do we have any intention of making this change at some point? thanks!
        Hide
        Eric Westfall added a comment -

        We fixed this issue at IU by making sure that our database used a UTF character set instead of ISO-8559-1

        Show
        Eric Westfall added a comment - We fixed this issue at IU by making sure that our database used a UTF character set instead of ISO-8559-1

          People

          • Assignee:
            Greg Patterson (Inactive)
            Reporter:
            Eric Westfall
          • Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated:
              Resolved:

              Structure Helper Panel