Type: Sub Task
Resolution: Won't Fix
Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: Not version specific
Security Level: Public (Public: Anyone can view)
Environment:Evaluated KRAD build on http://dev.rice.kuali.org/portal.do
Evaluated with latest Firefox (5.0) on Vista PC, with latest JAWS (12.0).
Evaluated in "say all" mode and in "forms" mode.
Sprint:2.5.0-m2 Sprint 1, 2.5.0-m2 Sprint 3, 2.5.0-m3 Sprint 1, 2.5.0-m3 Sprint 2, 2.5.0-m4 Sprint 1, UXI 2.5.0-m4 Sprint 2, UXI 2.5.0-m5 Sprint 1, Core 2.5.0-m5 Sprint 2b
KAI Review Status:Not Required
KTI Review Status:Not Required
Required for WCAG 2.0 Level A (must haves):
– 2.4.1 - Provide a way to bypass blocks of content that are repeated on multiple pages. (See problem 1 below)
– 2.4.2 - Web pages have titles that describe topic or purpose (See problem 2 below)
– 1.4.5 - Text used instead of images of text except for customizable images (by user) and essential images (logotype) (See problem 6 below)
– 2.4.4 - Link purpose (in context): the purpose of each link can be determined from the link text alone or from the link text together with its programmatically-determined link context (See problem 9 below)
– 3.1.1 - The default human language of each web page can be programmatically-determined (See problem 10 below)
– 4.1.1 - Parsing: in content implemented using markup languages, elements have complete start and end tags, elements are nested according to their specifications, elements do not contain duplicate attributes, & IDs are unique (except where specs allow these features) (See problem 10 below)
(Other problems listed below are usability aspects)
Overall summary: The focus order in the Kuali portal at the top (not in the content area) needs to be optimized. This order is inherited by all other pages. The focus order defines the keyboard navigation order and the order in which a screen-reader speaks the UI content (for a blind or low-vision user).
Currently, the branding for the page name is spoken first ("Kuali portal index"), the link "Provide Feedback" is spoken next, then the greyed out text "Rice sample app ....." (reads long string). Then the Main Menu and Administration tabs are spoken, then the action list and doc search buttons, then the logged-in user info, the entry field, and the login and logout buttons. Then the focus moves into the headings and list items of links in the content area.
1.The portal is missing a jump-to-main-content link. Provide an invisible link that comes right after the Kuali portal branding in the HTML, with alt text="Jump to main content" so that on all Kuali pages the non-sighted user doesn't have to listen to all the header information that is common on all pages before hearing the content of the page. See http://webaim.org/techniques/skipnav/#invisible. This is logged in
2. Missing or blank page title? The title should be "Main menu page - Kuali portal" when the main menu items are the main content and should change to "Administration page - Kuali portal" when the administration items are the main content. This should be an invisible title since the sighted user will see that he/she is on the main or administration page. The title can contain the same text as a heading level 1, which should be read first in the content area. This is logged in
3. Too many H1s. The "Provide Feedback" should not be a heading, is currently a head level 1. Should just be a link. This is logged in KULRICE-5692. We should also consider whether this is in the right place and tab order (recommend moving to footer section).
4. Title tags are missing and are needed for "action list", "doc search", "provide feedback", and "acknowledgements" links, to let people know these will open new browser window or tab. This is logged in KULRICE-5692.
5. The login information and buttons are read after the doc search option. Instead, conceptually, this information (the current logged in user info, the login field and the login and logout buttons) should come before the Action list and doc search buttons and before the main menu and administration page links. Or, if the login does not apply to both the main menu and administration pages (if there is a separate login for each page) then it should come before the action list and doc search items but after the main menu and administration page links.
6. There seem to be 2 focus stops to the login entry field (this may be a screen reader phenomenon - I'll research). After the doc search item, JAWS moves to read the "logged in user: admin", then moves to the login entry field and says "enter your backdoor id here", then reads "blank" sometimes and "type in text" other times, then moves to the login button (you can slow this down by navigating with the down arrow key). Ideally, there should be only one focus stop to the login entry field. It should say "enter your Kuali user ID here" (and the screen reader would append "type in text". This typically would be the screen-reader behavior with a field label tag associated with the entry field. This is missing, check Line 132, Column 18: Label text is empty. <input type="text" name="__login_user" value="" size="20"/>)
Repair: Add text to the input element's associated label that describes the purpose or function of the control. Add a label element that surrounds the control's label. Set the for attribute on the label element to the same value as the id attribute of the control. And/or add a title attribute to the input element. And/or create a label element that contains the input element.
And maybe there are there 2 stops to the field? Check line 264, column 7: <form name="BackdoorForm" method="post" action="/backdoorlogin.do" style="margin:0; display:inline"> ... (Also, I need to check on whether this is a screen-reader artifact.
7. Action list and doc search buttons are images, not text. They don't inherit high contrast values. (Line 194 and Line 240, column 6) This is logged in
8. There is a tab stop to something that is not visible on the screen, after the "administration" tab/link is read. Seems to say "link asdf". Should be deleted. (e.g., check Check Line 151, Column 35: <a href="asdf.html">) This is logged in
9. When the user is on the main menu page, the displayed text/tab for that should be a tablist element, not a simple link. And same for the administration text/tab when the user is on that page. (Conceptually, this text is the same as the hidden page title, but the page title needs to be spoken first in the content area.) This is logged in
10. The rest of these are logged in
a. Language is not identified. e.g., language should be included and set to "EN". "For HTML documents add the lang attribute and a valid ISO-639-1 two letter language code to the opening HTML element. For XHTML documents add both the lang and xmllang attributes with a valid ISO-639-1 two letter language code to the opening HTML element."
b. No doctype declaration: Line 3, Column 1: no document type declaration; will parse without validation <div id="header" title="Kuali Rice"> )
c. Missing characters on amp, multiple places throughout code. E.g. see line 7, columns 94, 95, 98.
d. Same for nbsp, multiple places throughout code. E.g., see line 247, column 50