Details

    • Type: Bug Fix
    • Status: Closed
    • Priority: Critical
    • Resolution: Fixed
    • Affects Version/s: None
    • Fix Version/s: 2.1.3
    • Component/s: Development
    • Security Level: Public (Public: Anyone can view)
    • Labels:
      None
    • Rice Module:
      KNS
    • Application Requirement:
      KC
    • KAI Review Status:
      Not Required
    • KTI Review Status:
      Not Required

      Description

      After our recent Rice upgrade that involved adding easyXDM to our portal, we started noticing strange issues while using Firefox and Tomcat. While navigating pages, we would see a JS alert console that read "server error". We also noticed that some pages would be reloaded twice resulting in some documents being submitted to workflow twice. While this strange behavior was not observed in our environments, we were able to successfully reproduce this on our local envs running Tomcat and Firefox. On researching this issue further I noticed the following message in our error console

      "The page was reloaded, because the character encoding declaration of the HTML document was not found when prescanning the first 1024 bytes of the file. The encoding declaration needs to be moved to be within the first 1024 bytes of the file. "
      

      I tried to fix this by adding

      "<meta charset="utf-8"/>"
      

      to the head tag of page.tag and that fixed this issue. So the page.tag looks like

      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
      <html:html>
      
      <c:if test="${empty headerTitle}">
      	<c:set var="headerTitle" value=" Gayathri ${docTitle}"/>
      </c:if>
      <head>
      <meta charset="utf-8"/>
      <c:if test="${not empty SESSION_TIMEOUT_WARNING_MILLISECONDS}">
      

      This fixed the issue and we do not see the reloads or the server error messages anymore. Not sure why this problem manifests only while running Tomcat and Firefox though. Tomcat and Chrome seems fine. Could Rice investigate this issue and incorporate this change whereever needed? It is possible that this fix needs to go into other tag files also. The above situation can be recreated while opening the Proposal Log document or the PD document.

      I also see other error messages in the console that seem to be because of easyXDM like the following:
      Login page
      --------------
      [20:27:52.259] A form was submitted in the windows-1252 encoding which cannot encode all Unicode characters, so user input may get corrupted. To avoid this problem, the page should be changed so that the form is submitted in the UTF-8 encoding either by changing the encoding of the page itself to UTF-8 or by specifying accept-charset=utf-8 on the form element. @ http://127.0.0.1:8080/kc-dev/portal.do?selectedTab=portalCentralAdminBody

      I think the above is also a case of missing utf-8 encoding.

      opening IP for edit
      ---------------------
      [21:28:44.392] Error: Permission denied to access property 'scrollTo' @ http://127.0.0.1:8080/kc-dev/kr/scripts/core.js:183
      [21:28:44.393] Error: Permission denied to access property 'document' @ http://127.0.0.1:8090/kr-dev/rice-portal/scripts/easyXDM/resize_intermediate.html?url=%2Fkr-dev%2Fkew%2FDocumentSearch.do%3FdocFormKey%3D88888888%26returnLocation%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2F127.0.0.1%3A8080%2Fkc-dev%2Fportal.do%26hideReturnLink%3Dtrue&xdm_e=http%3A%2F%2F127.0.0.1%3A8080&xdm_c=default8750&xdm_p=1:38

      while these do not seem to have any adverse effect on the page, they should probably be fixed.

        Attachments

          Issue Links

            Activity

            Hide
            cniesen Claus Niesen added a comment -

            BTW, we don't use the jquery.ba-postmessage.js anymore and it has been removed from rice. KC still references it from kc-config-defaults.xml which causes JavaScript errors in the console. The ba-postmessage.patch removes these references from KC.

            Show
            cniesen Claus Niesen added a comment - BTW, we don't use the jquery.ba-postmessage.js anymore and it has been removed from rice. KC still references it from kc-config-defaults.xml which causes JavaScript errors in the console. The ba-postmessage.patch removes these references from KC.
            Hide
            gathreya Gayathri Athreya added a comment -

            Added Bryan so he is aware of this js removal from Rice.

            Show
            gathreya Gayathri Athreya added a comment - Added Bryan so he is aware of this js removal from Rice.
            Hide
            cniesen Claus Niesen added a comment -

            Fixed by KULRICE-8730. KULRICE-8730 ended up moving the character encoding declaration right after the <head> tag.

            Gayathri please test the workflow submission since I don't run KC on tomcat locally.

            Show
            cniesen Claus Niesen added a comment - Fixed by KULRICE-8730 . KULRICE-8730 ended up moving the character encoding declaration right after the <head> tag. Gayathri please test the workflow submission since I don't run KC on tomcat locally.
            Hide
            gathreya Gayathri Athreya added a comment -

            Awesome, thanks Claus.

            Show
            gathreya Gayathri Athreya added a comment - Awesome, thanks Claus.

              People

              • Assignee:
                cniesen Claus Niesen
                Reporter:
                gathreya Gayathri Athreya
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                1 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved: